Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dalia y de Pan de Platano (and the Banana Bread)

 Por Carlo

 For the last five years, we’ve been spending at least several weeks each Winter on the beaches of San Blas. Over the years we found one beach vendor that makes the banana bread we like most. She speaks no English and we speak very little Spanish yet we have always been able to communicate what we want to buy (she also sells an excellent corn custard pie) and how much it costs. I’ve been a bit braver this year, after spending a several months working with a few Spanish speaking friends and taking a hand full of Spanish classes with Alma Rita, so I asked (in Spanish) “what is your name?”. She seemed delighted that I was trying to communicate with her and replied “Dalia” (sorry if I’m misspelling it). To make sure I heard it correctly I asked, “Dalia”? “No”, she said, “Dalia” (my English ears could hear no difference). So once more I tried, “Dalia”? This time she said “Si” (yes) but, I’m not sure if I got it right or she just gave up trying to correct me. After that she became quite chatty and talked at length about her breads and custard pies (at least that’s what I think she was talking about as I only understood about every fifth word). Near the end of her story she rattled off several numbers; something like “cinco cero cinco tres dos ocho seis” and smiled broadly. I dutifully wrote down “5 0 5 3 2 8 6” and showed it to her. She nodded; bid us “adios” and went on her way down the beach. Joy asked, “What was that all about?” and I replied, “I think she gave us her telephone number”. We both laughed aloud and talked about how we can just barely communicate face to face; there is no way we would understand each other over the phone. So, Dalia (or however your name is properly spelled) please wait until another year when my Spanish is better. Then I will call you up and we can chat like Amigos.

No comments: