Wednesday, June 10, 2009

It’s a small world (the story of Adam and Grace)

Por Carlo

A few weeks back, Joy and I were sitting at El Arracadas (our favorite Ramada) when I noticed a motorcycle with USA plates in the parking area and two people sitting at the next table attired in motorcycle garb. My friend Mr. C has said to me, “You make friends wherever you go” and to keep his statement spot on, I turned and talked with the two people at the next table.

 Turns out they had started off from San Diego, just pulled in to San Blas, and this was their first stop. Their names were Adam and Grace. They were going south to Argentina; taking their time and letting the journey be at least as important as the destination. You can read about their journey and see pictures at www.storeylines.com . They asked if we knew of any places to stay and we told them that Chris of Quinta California would either have a room available or would be able to direct them to a decent hotel in town.. In spite of my directions (the last person I tried to direct to somewhere in town wound up in Albany, New York) they found their way to La Quinta and met with Chris.

 Now, here’s where the “small world” part comes in; it turns out that Adam and Grace were originally from Port Townsend, small town in Washington State and so was Chris! (Wait there’s more). Chris had a friend Paul, from the same small town; visiting and he brought his son Liam with him. It just so happened that Adam’s mother had been Liam’s fourth grade teacher!!

So, here were these two people that just by chance stop at a beach several thousand miles from their starting point, met me, went to a hotel I suggested, and met up with people from their original home town. Serendipity? Sure. But, I kept hearing that Disney song in my head for days; you know: “It’s a small world after all” (repeated until one wants to destroy the music)..

No comments: